Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Will you be my Valentine?

Valentine's Day is just around the corner!



I love Valentine's Day. I know it's still a few weeks away, but I decided I wanted to do something different this year. Target had mini mailboxes in their $1 spot and I thought how much fun it would be to get one for each of the girls and put a little surprise in there on the days leading up to Valentine's day. They had alphabet stickers, too, which was perfect to put their names on them.

And some Mint Oreos, just because.

I saw some really cute, meticulously decorated mailboxes on Pinterest:


and while they are adorable, I do not have the patience for that. Especially since they are probably going to get dropped, dented and otherwise deformed by my enthusiastic children.

So I stuck their names on the boxes, added some flair to the flag and the front door, and Maddie asked if hers could have a 4 on it "since I am four!"



Easy peasy.

Every day starting February first, I want to put a little note in each box. Some days I'll put a small trinket in as well. I found some cute socks and rubber duckies (also in the $1 spot)

The big pair on the right is mine.

I also found really cute divided plates and fork and spoon sets that obviously won't fit in the mailboxes, along with some clearance toys to give the girls on V-day (LaLa Loopsy dress up wig for Maddie, play shopping cart for Allie) that are currently hiding in the back of the van. If I bring them into the house the girls' present-radar will go off and they'll find it and ruin the surprise. Plus, it's freezing outside and I'm too lazy to go get the stuff to take a picture.


Anyway, I'm getting a little tired of all the bitter people screaming how much they hate Valentine's Day, how it's a Hallmark Holiday, overcommercialized, blah blah. How they shouldn't need a special day to express their love and they refuse to do it out of spite. First of all, the concept of Valentines equaling love has been around since the 14th century. Second of all, Target has the cutest Valentine's home decor ever and any excuse to use stuff like this:

The square bird plates are my everyday dishes.

is a-ok in my book. And thirdly and most importantly, Valentine's day is my birthday. 

Pretty much how I still feel every year.




No comments:

Post a Comment